Under the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) Sarnia Mutual Ltd will be known as the “controller” of the personal data that you provide to us.
This policy gives you a clear understanding of what information we collect, why we collect it and what we do with it. We also outline how we protect your data and what rights you have.
When do we collect information?
We collect information from you when you apply for a loan, subscribe to a newsletter or enter information on our site.
What kind of information do we collect?
In order to process your loan application, whether applying or registering on our site or in person, we will be collecting your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, credit card information, social security number or other details. We will not collect any personal data from you that is not required for the purposes of the loan application.
We will only use your personal information for the purpose it was collected for.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you register, make a purchase, sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, surf the website, or use certain other site features in the following ways:
To quickly process your application
To send you details of new products or special offers, competition or events that we think that you may be interested in.
To carry out market research – from time to time, to help us to provide you with improved products and services, we may ask you to fill in a questionnaire, this is your chance to let us know how we are doing and how we can improve.
How do we protect your information?
Our website is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit to our site as safe as possible.
We use Malware Scanning technology on our website.
Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
We implement a variety of security measures when a user makes an application, enters, submits, or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information.
All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our web servers.
Do we use ‘cookies’?
• Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Since browser is a little different, look at your browser’s Help Menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you turn cookies off, some features will be disabled. It won’t affect the user’s experience that make your site experience more efficient and may not function properly.
How long we keep the information
We will only use and store the information for as long as it is required for the purposes it was collected. How long this is stored depends on the information collected and what it is being used for.
What are my rights?
You have the following rights with regards to your information.
- The rights to confirmation as to whether we have your personal data and if we do, to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold. (this is known as a data subject access request)
- The right to rectification – if the information we hold is inaccurate or incomplete you have the right to have this information corrected.
- The right “to be forgotten” – this means you have the right for your information to be deleted where there is no reason for it to be kept.
- The right to be object to your data being used for marketing. We can still store your data but can no longer use it.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personally Identifiable Information unless we provide users with advance notice. This does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or serving our users, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release information when it’s release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property or safety.
However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third Party Links
Occasionally, we may provide links to a third party, for example, a link to an event we are sponsoring. We are not responsible for the data policies, content or security of these linked websites.
Can change your personal information:
• By emailing us
• By calling us
CAN SPAM Act
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to:
• Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions
• Process applications and to send information and updates pertaining to applications.
• Send you additional information related to your application and/or service
• Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original transaction has occurred.
To be in accordance with CANSPAM, we agree to the following:
• Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
• Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way.
• Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters.
• Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
• Honour opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
• Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can follow the instructions at the bottom of each email and we will promptly remove you from ALL correspondence.
Sarnia Mutual Limited
La Plaiderie Chambers,
St Peter Port,
Guernsey, GY1 1WG
If you wish to view our full Terms & Conditions, please contact us using the above methods and we will be happy to provide you with a copy.